Drawn by the German master builder Andreas Hoger during the Moravian survey of what is now the Winston-Salem area, in September, 1754. Moravians in Pennsylvania expanded their holdings in America by purchasing this 100,000 acre tract in northern North Carolina and named it after the Wachau Valley in Austria. The ornate cartouche illustrates a measuring rod and smoothbore flintlock, both essential pieces of equipment for Hoger’s trek into wilderness, and the only deer shot during the survey trip. Reproduced from the original in the collection of the Wachovia Historical Society, which was only recently discovered and authenticated.
Size: 16 1/4 x 14 inches – Color, Text-weight Paper